国学基金会

注册

发新话题 回复该主题

对学英语的感想 [复制链接]

1#
In numbers of speakers as well as in its uses for international

communication and in other less quantifiable measures, English is one of the most important languages of the world. What is known to all of us is that English is widely used as a second language and as a foreign language in China, even throughout the world. Why has it been so widespread? After my reading of A History of English Language, I think the first element contributing to the spread of English during the long history is the great power of English-speaking country.

At first, Great Britain was very powerful in the former half of last century and it aimed to dominant the whole world. So with attempts, it kept establishing colonies on the lands of other countries which had plenty of natural resources and were not able to combat Britain. In this way, English was gradually spread on many continents, including the America. Afterwards, with the rapid development of the United States and the international communication becoming frequent, English has become the most widespread language in the world. And it has indicated a word “Languages become important because of events that the balance of power among nations.”

But there is also a word “Fortune knocks once at least at every man's gate.” As a result, with the power of China rising up, Chinese, spoken by largest population in the world, has become hot. Besides, Chinese government has realized that protecting our traditional culture is more important than learning English. If we refuse to change our current situation in learning English, that is, all the students even the primary school students are forced to learn English and what is more ridiculous is that those students are likely not good at our own language at all, our language will be probably on the edge of losing own character. Recently, we can see the endeavor of our government because English is becoming less important in the entrance examination at the end of the High School, which to some degree can determine our destiny in China. Maybe today we can say English would appear to be entering a period of decline in China.

What influences will be brought if English lose its essential status in China? First of all, it goes without saying that we Chinese students can have a relief from learning English and spend more time on learning and developing our own culture. To some extent, this will enlarge the influence of China in the world and decrease the cultural penetration of Europe and America. Second, maybe it is beneficial for the students majoring in English. In the past few years, because most people who have received education more or less know some English, it seemed that English majors didn’t have any advantages, which have had a big effect on employment. By contrast, we can not deny that the decline in English also has bad impact. With the knowledge of English, we Chinese people are good at more than one aspect, which is a glorious thing. So sometimes I will think about that even though English has affected us for so long, is it really necessary for us to change it? Is it really useful to change our attitude towards English? We all can see that English has been influencing our life. And many people may not be able to live without English TV series, English songs and English news. We are unconscious to be impacted every day.

I don’t know whether we can avoid English completely or whether it wills dominant our life more in the future. The only thing I’m sure is that we Chinese people can’t abandon our own culture, our thousands of years’ culture.

分享 转发
2#

不好意思,字体有点小。
3#

nice
发新话题 回复该主题